Friday 1 November 2019

Façade


Plastic, ass sticks on the chair
Do your make-up, do your hair
Put on the face you wish the world would see
Unhappy with just how we’re are
Craft and sculpt a new façade
Looking for approval’s nod
The mirror, ego lies

I know the face we wear is always changing
One side of it is real, the other
Constant re-arranging… to suit the world

It’s no measure of health to be adjusted
To a society that’s so damn busted
Materialism, zealots and corporate gods

Hey, wait, take a selfie
Never frame, photo captures moment,
Elf on shelf he
Spies at you, tape the camera to block out your phone

I don’t know you,
I don’t know me
Persistent pursuit
Of liberty
Smear the grease, dab the gel
Walk into the wind

Buttermilk smiles and fenced in hugs
Crowded café or disco club
Sat in the corner of the pub, my thoughts on nothing new
All these things, you don’t forget it
Live long enough to regret it
Mystery makes the moment question everything

How can I face the day
When I never can ever feel the way
I feel that feeling should feel
Not the way things are

Shave the stubble,
Stack the rubble
Always feel trapped
In a bubble
This means war, this means trouble,
No one wins

Loneliness is such a whore
We crave to be
So much more
I want to be happy and love myself
Or fall away

Deep down, hit the center
Smash the ceiling; plaster and splinters
Saw the sky now hurdling beneath the ground

All the world is a stage
Mixed emotions
Joy and rage
Feel like a pack creature in a cage
Gnaw foothold trapped leg but can’t get free of me

I need my ego thoughts removal
Emancipation from approval
The lights too dim, and I can’t see
If the line’s drawn on right
Anxious finger shakes;
Lines blurred and salient run from corners
Of the eyes

Plastic, static sticks on the chair
Paint your make-up, coif your hair
Place on the face you wish the world would see
Never happy with just how we’re are
Craft and sculpt a new façade
Looking for approving nod
The reflection, ego lies

I know the face we wear is always changing
One side of it is real, the other
Constant re-arranging… to suit the world not me
And that is why I can’t feel free.


Edmonton, AB, Canada








No comments:

Post a Comment