Tuesday 29 October 2019

Disdain For Winter


Crispness cuts
Beneath my clothes
Burning ears and frozen nose
Thoughts transpose from summer mind
To winter’s grip and fold
The cold in my bones
Never abates
The mercury plunge;


Need to alleviate
The short dark days
With some sort of light of my own
The things in life we can’t control:
Getting sick or growing old
The weather and seasons past
Continuous momentum
Seems frozen, fast
The wrong moments lasting forever
This is how perception lies
Wind teared up, watery eyes
Being present, breath,
Nose drips on glove, slid on sleeve


The Tao teaches to go with the flow
Trapped in the cracks of ice-dammed river road
Paddles useless
Walk on water
Ego complex, messianic muse;
Waiting for the Spring
Which never really came this year,
Summer too
Dark, wet drear


Waiting for that time of year
For sun’s warmth upon my aging visage
Of singing birds and magpies call
So my limbs flow freely
Instead of stiff and dry
Thoreau’s Walden, Genesis’ Eden
The places I want to go
Walk along the Oceanside in San Diego or Mexico

A place of warmth, compassion and harmony
To mind the season’s as they come and go
The tuft of sheepdog fur
Massaged by my hand
Sat beneath full foliaged tree
A book, a drink, held in my hand
Blowing blooms of cloud into blue sky, free
And sit in the circle,
An equal part-
Not the begin or middle
The sound of kettle on the hob
Of bodhrans, pipes, guitars and fiddles
Away from the traffic’s roar
And congested streets which I deplore
The society that can be such a whore…


Need to alleviate
The short dark days
With some sort of light of my own
Nature is my source
To fan the spark is desirable,
With the right person of course!
Who will come with me along this way
Endure both bright and dismal day
To find piece in the affray
The heights of passion, lows of dismay?


Winter, welcome, again my terse old friend
Who marks the finality of Summer-Fall’s end
May the weary world rest while fixed
Within your grip
Until Springtime starts it’s hopeful drip
To bloom and blossom back to life
And mark the end of winter’s strife
As crispness cuts
Beneath my clothes
Burning ears and frozen nose
Grateful for every ounce of warmth
That radiate from parka, a smile
And the hope of acceptance.

Fan the spark into a flame; to light my way
And incandescence fill my being
As the universe guides my way
Stiff but yield unto icy current
Until a steady flow restores itself,
Unstuck,
And I begin to move freely once again.


Edmonton, AB, Canada













No comments:

Post a Comment