Wednesday 14 November 2018

A Sick Society

It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti




Krishnamurti’s message says all that really needs to be said. When one reflects on the meaning of these words, we can observe the roots of violence, apathy, lack of fulfillment, despair and a world run by conformity, corporations and media. We need to be the change by being our selves. If all you read, listen to, watch and do is empty of any sort of truly qualitative components or aspects, then how can we ever feel the joy of fulfillment? How can we make this world better if we stew in our apathy? How can we be who and what we are if we complicity wear the masks of conformity assigned to us by society or our employers. I have often felt a pariah on the periphery of society, walking to the beat of my own drum, though I know that, through my rebellions and decisions, much of it is to a more palatable conformity; i.e. punk rock. Much of what I have done has not always followed a conventional path, but mine is a spirit of poetry and adventure, thus I wander as I must and try to adhere to those things which make sense and feel appropriate. I believe my intentions are to always do good. The Buddha said: “Believe nothing, now matter where you have read it or who has said it… unless it agrees with your own reason and common sense.” To not do this is to not think critically. We must inform ourselves and not be fearful of who accepts us. We must accept ourselves. Anything else may please others, but leave us empty and hollow.

1 comment: